, , , , , , ,

and still in the NICU. We were initially given an estimate of a 1.5-2 week stay, which didn’t seem too bad at the time, but here we are >2 weeks in, and we’re still here. For over a week we’ve heard “another week”, and the doc even told J today that he estimates they will be ready “sometime next week”, but really, it just depends upon their eating!

Health-wise, they are doing really good! Finn is off the CPAP and the bili lights (which he was on for 3 days just after getting off the CPAP). All we’re waiting for now is for them to eat all their food without the feeding tubes!

They are eating a little over half their feeds right now.

Every other feed (when we’re here from 8am to 10pm) is begun on the breast, and finished on the bottle. They get about 20-22ml by breast (which we’re told is really good), and are sometimes able to finish the remainder of their feeds (25-30-ish ml) from the bottle. A lot of the time, though, they are exhausted after only finishing 20-ish ml from the bottle, and need to be given the remainder of the food via their feeding tubes.

Because they were born prematurely, their muscles and mouth structures are still too weak to do what a full-term newborn can do, but they are improving everyday.

But let me tell you, I AM READY TO GO HOME!

Sure, it’s probably nice to have someone do the night feedings, and “let you sleep through the night” for a few weeks, but frankly, I’m up every 3 hours at night to pump anyhow, so yeah, not really that much better.

Also, if we were home, I could take much needed naps in my own bed!

I also wouldn’t have a new nurse every 3 days contradict what the last nurse said about everything around my babies care. As it is, I have to learn what the new nurse’s preferences are for their care, and adapt before I get lectured on how I’m doing everything wrong. (They don’t actually tell me I’m doing everything wrong, but it sure does feel like it. And I do want to say that most all the nurses we’ve had have been great; a few were amazing, and one was…not my favorite.)

It would be nice to do my laundry, and clean my house during the day, instead of in the middle of the night.

Frankly, it would just be nice to be home! I am definitely looking forward to it!

Until then, we just keep working on the feedings…

Breastfeeding is going well. I’m making about 20oz/day, and it continues to increase everyday. I’m still pumping every 3 hours (after their feeds) to continue to increase my supply. It’s a lot of work, but so far it feels like it is really paying off! They are both great breastfeeders, considering, and it’s a lot of fun getting to snuggle with them!

I’m not quite making enough for the both of them. Luckily, we are still able to go through the supply I was able to collect before their birth (I had about 200oz at that time), but unfortunately, since most people don’t pump before the birth of their children, the nutrition staff don’t really know what to do with my frozen stash, and I think some of it has gone to waste…

When my extra supply has been depleted, we still have frozen breastmilk from 2 of our friends who have had babies in the last year (they have been saving up for me!) So we can use that, as needed when we get home, and I am still establishing my supply. I have high hopes that I will get there eventually!

I do notice that I make a lot more when they are able to feed from the breast; there’s just something about a baby’s suction that just beats a pump hands down!

All in all, everything is going well, and we eagerly anticipate our return to “normal” life at home…with babies!

Here’s a picture of the babies the other day when they temporarily had their tubes out:

photo (1)

They’re just so cute, if I may be so biased!